Monday, June 25, 2012

First 5K and other milestones

A couple items of note happened in my training world in the past few weeks.

1. I ran really far.  5.7 miles to be exact.  It was another awesome run where Superman himself was running through my veins and I felt like I could go on forever.  I set out determined to run until the sun went down, and that's exactly what I did.  It was glorious.  My next step is to do 6+ miles.  I'm thinking I can make that happen next week......

2. I did the Cancer Challenge 5K this past weekend.  I didn't do nearly as well as I'd hoped, but I ran what I felt like was a realistic (albeit sad and humbling) picture of where I am with training.  I'll spare the details.  I ran 3.1 miles in 27:30ish.  I was really hoping for an under 9:00 mile pace. But at least now I have a starting point and it'll only get better from here!

3. Rush Running speed session happened today.  How hot was it, you ask?  100+ degrees.  But my running buddy was there so that made the heat at least tolerable :)  It's amazing how having someone to run with makes the workouts and the weather not seem as bad as they would if I was by myself. 

4. New training set-backs that I hadn't really thought about happened as well.  (Or maybe I did think about them...... I'll have to go back to post #1 and see.) Husband out of town + highs in the upper 90s = no running for this lady.  That could have been a partial contributor to my less than stellar preformance on Saturday.  

August 11 is the next race that I know for sure I'm doing.  Tontitown's Run for the Grapes 5k.  I did it last year with a friend, pushing a stoller, newly preggo, and it was awesome! My goal this year will be 25:30.  Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment