Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 6 Tuesday April 17


So remember how my Watch is a dirty liar and tells me I ran really far when I really didn't?? Well, it heard me. Watch decided to go in the opposite direction today.  And remember how my last run was on a treadmill and uneventful? Also opposite today. And yes, I would like some cheese with the following whine.

Let me begin by saying that my knees still hurt.  A whole lot. Even when I'm not running.  Which makes running very unfun. It also makes me look really silly for the first 10 minutes of the run while I try to figure out my stride with shooting pain going through my knees. It's not that I care that I look silly; I really don't  give a damn.  It's more that "my stride" is not my stride when my knees hurt like that.  Its like wearing someone else's clothes or driving someone's else's car.... it just doesn't feel right.

It took until 18 minutes into the run before my knees went from shooting pain to an aching pain that I could live with.  At 20 minutes I started to feel the effects of the run (of course).  I really don't like being out of shape.  And I really don't like being reminded of that a meager 20 minutes into a run.

I checked my pace a couple times on Watch throughout the run. I knew I wasn't running fast.  I wanted distance, not fastance. That's right, fastance. I made up a word, I think. But I didn't think I was going that slow. Like 12:00 per mile slow. I found that information very depressing and just figured my knees must really be affecting my running more than I was willing to admit to myself.

When I knew I was reasonably close (half a mile-ish) to my house, I decided to sneak a peak at how far Watch said I had run.  Mentally I had logged about 8 miles (it was a tough run), but I thought realistically it was probably closer to 3.25.  Nope.  2.6.  Let me say it again.  TWO point SIX! And you know how long my watch said I'd been running for? About 34 minutes.  I tried to figure out how "fast" I was apparently running and gave up once I realized that it was slower than 11 minutes a mile.  Ridiculous.

Belive it or not, I could keep going on and on about this run, its few ups and many downs, and how it was an overall mental beating (I was going to say something way more vulgar than "mental beating" but decided to take the high road. However I will not take the high enough road to not let people know that I'm thinking of a way worse choice of words, even if I didn't type it).  But I'll spare you and just get to the point.

I used two different run-mapping websites once I got home to check my run. There was no way it was only 3.12 miles in 37:42. I was right.  It was 3.8 miles.  THREE point EIGHT.  Which works out to be way faster than 12:00 miles.  Stupid watch.

I'm super stoked that I ran that far.  My goal was 4 but I knew I'd be lucky to get 3 with the way my knees were hurting. So 3.8 is awesome! I am just not super stoked that I'm still fighting the accuracy battle with my watch. So here's the score: Watch 2, Eileen 1.  Even though I just complained a ton, I still ran farther than I thought which means I'm awesomer than I thought which means I won today.

No comments:

Post a Comment